Learn about different action verbs and review present and past tense through the Stages Learning Verb Cards
- Grammar (present and past tense verbs)
Space to move around
This lesson is ideal for 2+ students, ideally for kindergarten - 2nd grade, or a beginning ELL student
Make sure there is enough space that students can move and act.
- As a warm-up, review with students the definition of a verb - it is a word that tells about an action, what someone is doing. Hold up any one of the verb cards as a sample, and ask Can you ___? For example, pointing to Balance card, ask, “Can you balance?” Balance is a verb because it is something someone can do.
- Divide the students into two groups.
- One person from the first team should get up and choose a verb card. Without showing anyone, have the student act out the verb. His/Her teammates have 15 seconds to guess the verb. If they guess it right, their team scores a point.
- If the team is not able to guess, the other team has a chance to guess and steal the point. If no one guesses correctly, no points are awarded.
- If students have learned about present and past tense verbs, after the correct verb is guessed, ask, “What did he/she do?” Students should answer together, for example, “She balanced.”
- Next, one person from the second team should go and choose a verb.
- The game ends when the first team reaches 10 points.