Use the Language Builder Blocks as a quick way to practice number skills.
- Language Builder Blocks
- Post-It Notes
- 1 six-sided die
- Masking tape
Play with just one child or in small groups of preschool/kindergarten children
Write the numbers 1 through 6 on Post-It Notes. The range of numbers can be adjusted up or down based on the child’s ability. Using masking tape, create a 2x3 grid, leaving enough room in each box for the child to build in.
- Ask the child to roll the die. Have the child count the number of dots.
- Then, ask the child to grab the same number of blocks from the large pile and create a structure with them in the top left box. For an easier version, skip the die and count up from 1.
- Continue rolling the die and building corresponding block structures until all six boxes are filled.
- Hand the child the Post-It Note with the number. Ask the child to match the number to the structure with the same number of blocks.
- Challenge the child to build with all the blocks from the grid!
- Create a larger grid, or use more dice together for bigger numbers.