Students will use the Link4Fun book and app to develop their literacy, social skills, and vocabulary. Students will interact with the teacher or therapist using a print-based picture book with a digital device for an interactive reading experience. Each part of the lesson plan can be extended or shortened depending on the needs of the child.
- Picture identification and vocabulary
- Gross motor development
- Conceptualization skills
- Communication skills
Link4fun book with app and iPad
This lesson is designed for 1:1 instruction with a teacher or therapist. It can also be adapted for use with a small group of 2-4 students.
To prepare, educators should install the Link4Fun App and connect it with the Link4Fun Book. The book should be placed on a table that is appropriate for the child’s height and seating. The child should be able to comfortably touch and view the book and iPad from his/her position.
- Show the student the cover of the book and ask, “What do you think this book will be about?” Have the student use details from the cover to explain his/her guess.
- Turn to the first page and have the student listen to the book read out loud. Ask the student to repeat the words read out loud and use his/her fingers to point to each word as he/she reads.
- Ask the student how he/she would respond to the words read aloud. For example, if the student hears “Hi! I am a dog,” the student might want to respond “Hi! I am (name).”
- Ask the student what else he/she might want to find out about the animal in the book. Indicate that the tabs on the app can be used to find out more about the animal.
- Ask the student to identify the topics in the tab and choose one he/she is interested in. Ask the student to phrase the choice as if he/she is asking the animal a question. For example: “What do you eat?”
- Ask the student the make predictions about the response to the question.
- Explore the interactive elements of the book with the student.
- Ask student child: “What did you learn? Did your original ideas change? How?”
- Ask the student to tell a story about the animal based on the new information he/she learned.
- Repeat steps 9-10 with subsequent pages and new animals.