Lesson Plan Overview
Use Stages Emotion Cards with literature to support a child's recognition of facial emotions and feelings in various contexts.
- Learn and name parts of the human face.
- Learn that people carry many cues to identify how they feel.
- Learn that facial expressions change as emotions change.
- Stages Emotion Flash Cards
- "The Way I Feel" by Jonan Cain
Pick 5 different emotion cards and have students identify emotion. If possible, have them explain how they were able to identify. For example, “they are sad because they are frowning.” Go through various scenarios and have students point to the flash card that that would identify how they would feel.
- Your brother or sister took your toy away from you.
- Your mom just made a fresh batch of cookies.
- Your dad/mom has to go away for a week.
- Someone just told a funny joke.
Read "The Way I Feel" by Janan Cain. Stop throughout the book and have students pick out a card that identifies how the character is feeling.